Friday, October 10, 2008

Surprise, Surprise......XP Deadline Extended Again!

Happy Friday to all!

Today we received breaking news from Microsoft which I'm sure will come as a shock to all of you (sense my sarcasm?).....but the sale of Windows XP has been extended from Jan 31, 2009 to July 31, 2009. This means that for the 3rd time since Windows Vista was released, Microsoft has extended the date to which customers can buy computers with Windows XP preinstalled. New computers will continue to ship with the Windows Vista license should you choose to upgrade at a later time.

In my opinion Windows Vista is an ok operating system now that it has had a service pack released for it, however my take is that it is too late for this version of Windows. It has received so much negative press that it will never recover. Do I like it better than XP? Absolutely not (I did say "ok" operating system!). We'll still recommend XP to clients, however we have no problem working with Vista either. Microsoft has been quietly working on what they are calling Windows 7, which is the successor to Vista and is slated for release sometime in 09. We went roughly 6 years without a new operating system, and now they are going to release another one in under 2 years....just a coincidence? I don't think so!